Quick Vegan Chana Dal
Cook and Prep Time: 45 minutes
· 2 cups Chana Dal (split chickpeas) or Split Yellow Peas
· 1 cup Shallots, chopped
· 1 head Garlic, minced
· 3 tbsp. Fresh Ginger, minced
· 4 cups Water or Vegetable Stock
· 1 head Cauliflower, chopped
· 4 stalks Celery, chopped
· 1 5 oz. can Coconut Cream
· Salt, to taste
· Black Pepper, to taste
· 2 tbsp. Fenugreek Seeds
· 1 tbsp. Cumin
· 1 tbsp. Cloves
· 1 tbsp. Allspice
· 1 tbsp. Smoked Paprika
· 3 tbsp. Curry Powder
· 1 tbsp. Turmeric
· Olive oil
1. Soak the chana dal overnight in water. Then, rinse and strain, and set aside in a bowl. Rinse and chop the produce accordingly.
2. In a pot, add the chana dal and vegetable stock. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 25-30 minutes, until tender. Add more water if needed.
3. Set a larger pot to medium heat. Once hot, add 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Then, add fenugreek seeds. Cook them for 45 seconds, until fragrant, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
4. Add garlic, shallots, and ginger to the pot with the seeds, and stir to combine. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until shallots are translucent. Stir frequently. Then, add celery and cook for 2 minutes more.
5. Add cauliflower, and saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring to combine.
6. Add chana dal (with remaining liquid) to the larger pot, and add coconut cream and spices. Stir to combine, and bring to a boil. Then, cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 5-8 minutes, until desired consistency is reached. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Plate chana dal, and serve with rice. Garnish with cilantro and scallion greens. Enjoy!